Saturday, October 8, 2011

Spontaneous Reflections


I’ve been feeling pretty great this week, at least most of the time. I find myself having a lot of time for self-reflection here, on the busses, when I zone out because my brain just can’t take another minute of Spanish, or just because I’ve seen something that reminds me that I’m in another country. There are times here that something happens to me, and it makes me feel like all is well with the world. Thursday, as I was leaving my ICRP, one of the little boys who was trying to keep me from leaving pointed up at the sky and said (in Spanish of course) “Look! A rainbow!” As I walked away, I felt really happy to be liked by the kids, to have learned a new word, and that there are great things like rainbows and children in the world. There are some things that are the same everywhere, rain, sun, and rainbows being a few examples. Contrast that with the fact that earlier that day I had felt really nostalgic because of a song I heard on the radio that was in English, knowing that most of the other people around me couldn’t understand the song, let alone why it would make someone miss home enough to feel teary. It’s tough sometimes, but really it’s not much different than being home. There are days and moments where you just feel awful and stressed, and then there are times when you’re riding high on life and wouldn’t change a thing. Here, the stressors and highlights are different, and occasionally more extreme, but I think it all averages out to be about the same.

My feelings of happiness and sadness are triggered by various things. Often by something I see that reminds me I’m not in Michigan anymore. One of those things is the kids I see working every day. This isn’t helped at all by the class I took last year on children’s rights in which we talked about child labor in the world for about a month straight. There’s a little kid who gets on my bus nearly every day to sell newspaper, there’s the kid who took my bus payment today, there’s the many kids I see on the streets, and then there’s the kids I’m working with now. Their lives are so much different from mine. And even though they can enjoy things in the moment, they have known some hardships I will never have to face. That was something that really hit me the other day. Even if I were to be totally broke and jobless in the future, I have family and friends who can help me out and I have enough of an education to get some type of work. Heck, I have a resume that totally qualifies me to flip burgers or run a cash register. It may not be much, but I will always have a way to provide for myself at least minimally. These kids don’t have that. They literally have nothing. Not only that, there is nothing in their lives that is secure. Not a home, not meals, nothing. That’s really the best thing I think el proyecto does for the boys that live there. They have had really hard lives, however many years they have lived, and this organization gives them a safe place to sleep, meals, and people who care about them, no matter how much trouble they cause. The organization also helps out the families of the other kids who come there after school. Tuesday, one of the directors was handing out bags of bread to some of the kids, presumably the ones whose families can’t afford to buy it themselves. Which is saying something, since I could buy a bag of bread like that for about a dollar fifty at the bakery down the street. I’m sure I’ll have many more observations about the kids I’m working with for you later, so I’ll leave this topic be for now.

One of the things that is starting to get on my nerves here is the attitude of many men towards women. Not all of them, but quite a few. The other girls on my program and I have spent a considerable time talking about it, and in at least one of the conversations I have had it was determined that men here are practically predatory towards females. It’s not just one thing they do, but the combination of everything we encounter. Nearly every day we have to listen to the piropos of guys standing on the sidewalk, or passing by, or even hanging out of a bus. There are wolf-whistles, hisses, and calls of “Preciosa!” or “Hola chica!” or whatever else they feel like saying to you. And that’s all from strangers. Guys here also seem to think that talking to you for all of two minutes entitles them to your phone number and a date tomorrow. No thanks. Walking into my ICRP on Thursday, a man who was leaving struck up a minute long conversation with me and asked me for my phone number. After finding out that I had a boyfriend, but he wasn’t in Ecuador. Again, no thanks. It’s like they don’t know how to make friends with the opposite sex, they just want to date them.

There’s another side to all of that though, which is what I would call the “flirty culture” that seems to exist here. This is exemplified by the bus drivers who won’t actually stop the bus for you to get on unless you are female or look like you can’t jump onto a moving bus. Guys, don’t try to catch a bus by yourself unless you have a decent amount of balance. Girls, particularly gringa girls, can usually get into clubs much more cheaply (read: for free) than guys, and there’s frequently other financial benefits to being female because guys want to pay. But I would easily give up the benefits to have the predatory stuff disappear. It doesn’t make you feel liked, it just makes you feel like an object.

But all of this is cultural observation and the reason I am here is to make those observations and hope to understand the people here a little better. I think that by the time I leave I will also understand myself better as a result of seeing this culture and realizing where some of my thoughts and habits come from. We are influenced so much by the culture around us, and it’s really interesting to have that in front of your face 24/7. I’m enjoying it.

Take care and keep in touch! (i.e. leave comments!!) And if any boys out there want to give me advice on nicely discouraging interested parties, DO TELL!

4 comments:

  1. I hope you keep following your thoughts on the kids at your ICRP. What you said about them having no other source of security and more than that, someone who will always care about them, no matter what, touches something big. The latter reminds me of the story of a number of boys in Baltimore who were all in the ranking of statistics that put them at very high risk for not finding a place of belonging in our modern world (probably called "success" in this study). All of them did very well and the researchers found that the one thing they all had in common was a particular elementary school teacher. She very deliberately loved each of her students and said that all any child needs is one person who will love that child no matter what. Remember that story? It was a bunch of psychologists doing the study. The boys didn't have any security for their needs but they did have it for love.

    I'm curious about what the "predators" think they are doing. Can your host father or brother explain any of this? Do these people realize they are objectifying women?

    Seems like you have found a good use for that bus ride time:)

    I do hope you get some male advice here on how to discourage the icky male attention. All I can say is that whistling back probably isn't a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of your observations are quite interesting. It is fascinating to watch someone go through this process of learning and growing, especially since everyone does it in their own way.

    "Guys here also seem to think that talking to you for all of two minutes entitles them to your phone number and a date tomorrow... It’s like they don’t know how to make friends with the opposite sex, they just want to date them."

    I think that this is pretty common throughout the world, actually. Men in all continents look at women as objects of pursuit, it is just that different cultures promote different methods of pursuit. An expensive gift or roses and a catcall are both a way of expressing interest, appropriate and accepted by people in different situations. I'd recommend asking local girls how they deal with unwanted attention; they've had the experience and they should know what works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had very similar experiences with men in Senegal. I learned that the best way for me to deal with it was to pretend that instead of feeling objectified, I felt flattered. I used those experiences as opportunities to practice flirting and joking around in French, and then suddenly turning things around and playfully insulting the man who was talking to me.

    I learned through that that the men really just enjoyed the process of flirting, and that I had a lot of fun when I let myself play the part and turn them down in the most extravagant way possible.

    Of course, it was a lot easier to do that on good days. If I was already in a bad mood, it was much harder to deal with things that emphasized my being a racial minority (ie: everything). Keep us posted! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is not only true ("has that ever worked?"), but it made me think of you: http://youtu.be/DV64Unva4e0#t=4m30s

    ReplyDelete