Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Giving Thanks, for the Interesting Things


Quito has been rather eventful these past few days, basically starting on Thanksgiving day. Big family holidays are hard to miss, particularly when the country you are in doesn’t celebrate them. I’m hoping Christmas is easier, if only because everyone here will also be celebrating.

My Thanksgiving was spent at school (for the first time in my life) and at my volunteer job. I did have a few things to be thankful for though, one of them being my Quichua professor paying for my bus fare saying that “Here in Ecuador, when we travel together, we sometimes pay for each other.” (He and I ride the same bus home after class, but this was the first time we actually talked during the journey.) When I got home, there wasn’t a single person there, and no one got home before I finally decided to go to bed. I found out the next morning that that was because my host-mom had gone into the hospital. She’s still home from work and I don’t think she’s returning until Thursday. She was in the hospital both Thursday and Friday nights with a high fever (over 104 at the highest) wand was still feverish Saturday and Sunday. I’ve been getting my own breakfasts in the morning and washing more dishes since she’s been sick. In a way, it’s nice to decide what I’m eating in the morning, but I missed having a mother figure in the house. It’s interesting how easily I can get used to a certain way of life, or a certain routine.

Friday was my “real” Thanksgiving. I skipped my last class of the day to go to the store and buy carrots and salad makings, only to find out, when the rest of my class showed up to finish their shopping, that it had been canceled. I headed home loaded with food and spent the next few hours in the empty house, blasting music from my laptop and chopping carrots and lettuce ‘till kingdom come. Or, rather, until it was time to head over to Sophie’s with my now-chopped-and-steamed carrots and Caesar salad creation.

We all met up at Sophie’s and ate until our stomachs were distended with delicious turkey (there were two), mashed potatoes, casseroles, stuffing, salad, and desert. When 28 people make 28 different and wonderful homey foods for just as many homesick people, everyone eats too much. We spent a good hour or so sitting around complaining about our painfully full bellies and marveling at the amount of food we had stuffed into them. Never again, even if it did taste good. That dinner definitely helped me feel more connected and back on track though. We may be different than all the people surrounding us, but we still have each other, and we understand each other, and it’s really nice to know that.

Saturday, Emily asked if I wanted to check out an ongoing LGBT film festival going on in Quito, and, wanting to get out of the house for a change, I accepted the invitation. We saw a few short films that were intriguing and, in some cases, strange. The best part of getting out of the house though, was the storm that rolled in as I was standing in the bus station. It started to pour just as I got off my first bus and ran over to wait for Emily at the next bus. The rain though was not content to stay rain and quickly became a hail storm. Hail the size of marbles came pelting out of the sky, battering the tin roof of the bus terminal and nearly deafening everyone under it. Not everyone seemed as enchanted and excited by it as I did, but I couldn’t help noticing the two “ejercito” (army) men standing next to me catching the little ice balls and showing them to each other with smiles on their faces. On the bus, Emily and I saw that, further south, the hail storm had been much larger and the streets were still covered in a slush of little icy balls. It actually looked like it had snowed in Quito. It was a magical experience, kind of like the first winter snow, except that it doesn’t EVER snow here. Not unless you climb another mile or so up a mountain and into the thin, cold atmosphere.

Sunday was my final Capoeira certification class. It turned out to be a completely informational thing, no activity whatsoever, which was a little disappointing, but very interesting nonetheless. Returning home though, I saw, in the bus station, a man with no nose. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything more strikingly different in my life. People are supposed to have noses, and this guy didn’t. He didn’t even have nostrils, just a flat bunch of scar tissue in the middle of his face that I tried really hard not to stare at.

Interesting things keep happening these days. Just yesterday, instead of just getting whistled at by a group of men I was walking by, I was actually serenaded by one of them. Not that it was much better than the whistles and hisses, but at least he was creative. I think I’m starting to notice more of the things I like about being here again, and that’s definitely a good thing.

I hope all of you can notice the good things wherever you are too, and that you can enjoy your experiences as much as I am, once again, enjoying mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment